Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

A medical scare with kitty-boy...

 For those who don't follow my blog on a regular basis...
This is Oreo...my "third son"...ok, he's my pet kitty...but I am so in love with my kitty, he might as well be my third son, hehe!
We had a little HUGE medical scare with him last week.
He stopped going potty.
He'd go into his litter box...and come out with only a tiny dribble left.
It got to the point where he'd meow these horrible sounds when he'd come out.
I was so worried!
I did my research online and of course they gave me everything from "a minor UTI infection that antibiotics will simply clear up" all the way to "serious disease with deadly repercussions".
OMGOSH!!!
 Of course this happened on Saturday night...Easter was the next day...and so we had to wait it out until Monday morning.  We called the vet first thing and they told us we could bring him in immediately, thank goodness.
Turns out, it was indeed, a UTI...very severe...but antibiotics for two weeks would most certainly clear it up.  Can we say, "WHEW!"
(big sigh of relief)
Well, he came home and he was not a fan of taking his pills...but Jam and I got it down to a science and reward him with Friskies each time he takes them.  He got one full day of pills in and was starting to show some improvement...but by night 2...he was acting like he was on his death-bed!  He wasn't showing any personality or emotion, didn't look at us or respond to us, he quit bathing, eating, and drinking.  We seriously thought he was going to die.  Then came the vomiting and diarrhea.  I talked with a friend who works at an animal shelter/vet and she told me that he was possibly having a reaction to his antibiotics.  She told me to keep close watch on him and call the vet if he didn't snap out of it soon.
Well...this lasted one night...by next morning...it was as if he got the will to live again!

He started eating and drinking.  His personality was back.  He was cuddling with us.  Giving us kisses.  He was using the litter box again.  It was like night and day.
And ever since...he has been back on the road to recovery!
It was a long, stressful, exhausting week.
Sometimes I think taking care of a sick pet is as exhausting as taking care of a sick child.
We are all very thankful to have our healthy happy Oreo back!
Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment