Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Did you know it's illegal in Michigan...

There is something that has been really bothering me lately.
It's in regards to the law here in Michigan.

I don't think people MEAN to break this law on purpose.
Many people don't even know.
But as they always say, "Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law".

So...here goes.

I am a licensed childcare provider.
I work really hard to maintain a clean, safe, educational, and fun environment for the children I have in my care.
All of the parents of the children in my care constantly tell me that having their children in my care, makes them feel better about having to go to work and leave them...knowing they are safe, well-cared for, loved, having fun, and learning with me.
I appreciate that!

I go through all the steps to maintain my license.
I do all of the paperwork.
I pay all of the fees.
I keep up on all the safety and home maintenance required.
I take classes on early childhood development and business administration, First Aid, CPR.
I participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
It's a lot of work.

HERE'S WHAT BOTHERS ME...

IN MICHIGAN, IT IS ILLEGAL TO WATCH UNRELATED CHILDREN IN YOUR HOME AND BE PAID FOR IT WITHOUT A LICENSE.
In other words...if you are babysitting in your home, for someone else's children and you take money from them...and you are doing so without a license...YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW.  (You may watch relatives in your home.  Or you may watch non-related children in their own home.)
But you CAN NOT...watch NON-RELATED CHILDREN in YOUR HOME and be PAID for it.
It is ILLEGAL.

A Department of Human Services Licensing Consultant COULD COME TO YOUR HOUSE.
Action could be taken against you.

I see this all the time.
And I don't think a lot of people even know any better.
They don't know it's the law.
I see neighbors doing it.
I know friends who do it.
I have even had FAMILY members do it.

But it is VERY FRUSTRATING to me...as a licensed provider to see this.
I go through all the steps to maintain a license.
And let me tell you...it is NO JOY...to keep up with all of these rules.
Not to mention, having the licensing consultants come into your home each year for inspections.
It is VERY INTIMIDATING.

But I do it because it's the LAW.
And that's the right thing to do.

I am not saying these people who are "babysitting" in unlicensed homes are bad people.
I'm not saying they aren't doing a good job.
I'm not saying their homes aren't safe.

I AM SAYING...IT'S ILLEGAL.

And it just really irks me, that I go to all the trouble, hassle, fees, classes, inspections, etc...and others simply don't.

Technically...I COULD (and SHOULD) report it to licensing...because licensing says that we as licensed providers SHOULD turn in those who are not licensed.

But...
I simply look the other way.
I am not one to make trouble.

I guess in the end...
I can just go to bed knowing...
That I am following the laws of Michigan.

I have a safe, clean, loving, educational, fun environment with a preschool curriculum for my kiddos.  Their parents know that they have found a dependable provider who loves their children.

Sometimes...
I guess we just grin (or not) and bear it.
(sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment