Pages

Friday, July 25, 2014

Graduation...

I had this typed and was planning to post it with Evan's Graduation Posts...but I forgot!
This is a letter I wrote to my son approaching his high school graduation...I love you so much Evan! 


Dear Evan,
Proud does not even begin to describe the way I feel!  From the moment your dad and I got married, all I ever wanted in life was to be a mom.  God gave us such an amazing blessing when He blessed us with you.  When you were born and struggled with your health those first 13 days in the NICU, I was terrified.  I hated that I couldn’t be with you every moment of every day.  I felt that I couldn’t smile or be happy until I knew you were going to be ok.  I couldn’t stop crying or praying for you.  I remember making one of my daily phone calls to check on you before I came to visit, and the nurse said, “Hold on, I can’t find him.”  Um, that’s not what a new momma wants to hear!  Frantic, I waited on the phone until she came back and said, “Congratulations! He’s moved out of NICU and into Intermediate Care!” I was so happy you were doing better!  You finally came home on that 13th day and you were a joy ever since.  You never cried.  You were so pleasant.  Everyone thought you were perfect.  You have never given us a minute of worry or trouble.  We have always known we could trust you to make wise, solid decisions.  You have good friends.  You don’t question dad and me (even though you may not always like what we say or do).  You always obey and are respectful…not only us, but other adults, teachers, church staff, parents, neighbors…everyone has always commented on your kindness and fine example that you set for others.  I know that life hasn’t 

always been easy for you.  You have had your share of physical setbacks, yet you still don’t complain.  You do what you’re supposed to in order to overcome those setbacks.  School hasn’t always been easy with some of the difficulties you’ve endured.  Yet you have maintained AWESOME grades, being on the honor roll, and even earning academic scholarships!  Many times, I have told my friends that I want to be just like you because you are my example.  You are kind to everyone, you don’t judge anyone, you stand up for the underdog, and you always stand for what’s right.  You don’t put up with bad language, gossip, or 


bullying.  The awesome thing is…people think you’re so quiet…but the reality is, you don’t let ANYTHING “wrong” continue.  You are quick to step in and speak up.  Don’t think that because you’re shy or quiet that people don’t notice that.  They do.  I’ve gotten many notes from teachers who notice those little things!  You and your brother may have your “spats”, but I have seen you and Nate tells me little things.  I know that you are quick to defend him and watch over him.  I have to admit, I’m glad you chose to stay at home (at least this year) and go to college close by.  I don’t know if “I” am ready for you to leave!  I know that day will come, and I know you will do fine.  But I know that I will cry my eyes out when that day does come.  I look back at all of the fun times we had when you were little.  You and I had some good times, just the two of us (when dad worked 2nd shift, before Nate was born).  We’d go to D&W for salt bagels.  We’d get cinnamon almonds at the mall (remember chipmunk cheeks?).  We’d go shopping and get cheese fries.  Hmm, funny how all of our fun times revolve around food, eh?  Haha!  Sometimes I wonder how you turned out so awesome because I am such a scatterbrain of a person.  You are not only smart, but wise.  You are truly a “good” person.  You have friends of all different backgrounds.  You help people and animals.  You are fun to be around.  You have an awesome sense of humor (though corny, which probably comes from Papa, haha!).  You are a handsome young man.  You will go far in life.  Keep God first, family second.  Never give up.  Do your best.  And I will always be here for you, no matter what.  I love you more than you’ll ever know.
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment