Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Update on my schooling...(WGU)

Just thought I'd give a little update on my progress and where I'm at with school.
I've already completed one term and am working on my second term.
I am a little over 1/3  of the way done...falling somewhere in my sophomore year.
I am loving this school.  I don't think I would have ever went back if "traditional" school would have been my only option.  WGU is geared specifically for working adults.  You can accelerate if you want, but don't have to.  Each year is broken up into two 6 month terms.
You work at your own pace, but you still must finish the term by the end of the six months.
If you finish your course load early, you can accelerate and add another class in that term before it ends.  It is extremely challenging.  If you aren't the kind of person who is self-motivated, can work independently, or set and reach your own goals...it's definitely not the type of school for you.  It's A LOT of work.  You have to be a go-getter.
The support of the student mentors and course mentors is AMAZING.
They WANT you to succeed. They want you to graduate.  They will do anything they can to help you succeed.  That is something I never experienced in traditional college at the other two schools I attended.  It is difficult, challenging, trying, and overwhelming at times...not only the course load, but balancing it all with a full time job (2 businesses), family, and other day to day responsibilities.  This is why I stress over and over again to my sons..."Finish college while you're young.  Don't get married and start a family before you finish.  Don't quit.  Don't give up.  Do it while you're young."  I hope by my example that they will see that it's worth it to have a college degree.  It's been so nice being in college again while my oldest son is in college as well.  He has helped me a lot.  I'm hoping to continue to accelerate and graduate early...but if I don't and it takes the full amount of time...that's ok too.  The point is...I WILL GRADUATE!  I am NOT giving up or quitting this time!
It's gonna be so worth it in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment