Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

A week of pure Mackinac!

Mackinac is our magical place.
We love everything about it.
The history, the beauty, the laid-back lifestyle.
We've done all the "touristy stuff"...and although it's fun...
Nothing suits us better than just hiking, relaxing, biking, and just enjoying "down-time" on the island.
We go at least three to four times each year...but generally only for a long weekend or so.
This was the first time we'd stayed an entire week!
It was pure heaven, and we couldn't have asked for better weather!
We started our trip in Mackinaw City.  We enjoyed some time shopping, playing on the beach, and just walking around.
I saw this giant dragonfly in a store/window front and just had to snap a picture.
It was bigger than both of my hands put together!

We stayed at the Quality Inn.
They had several buildings.  And we were located in the building adjacent to the main hotel.  It was almost like a duplex or cabin.  It had two little porches.  It was almost like a two bedroom suite!  There were a total of three beds.  We had a frig and coffee pot too.  We didn't request all of this but it was a nice surprise!  It is an older hotel and needs some work.  But it was very clean and we had all we needed and were very happy.

The boys spent some time playing on the beach in Lake Huron.
They LOVE the beach.
Me...not so much.


This is mine and Jamie's favorite place to relax on the island.
We call it "the marble slab".  It's just a marble bench near the school right before you go up the hill to the Grand.  We love to get a pop and just sit and people watch and relax here.



We did some major hiking this trip!
The boys love to explore...as do we!


My babes!

We hiked this path and discovered if we went a little further...we could get a great view of them firing the cannon just across the way!


Picturesque!



One of our favorite trails...
The Winnebago Trail.
We hike it every time we're there.

I love how they just let the trees "fall as they may".
It just amazes me to think how old some of these trees are...
And to think back in history, who may have been standing in these woods.

We "play" (i.e. hike, walk, trek) so hard all day at Mackinac...
We nearly collapse into bed each night.


What?
Did you  hear that?

I heard a rustling.
Then I saw a flower stalk fall over...

What a stinker!
This little bunny was eating the flowers at Mission Point!
There are bunnies EVERYWHERE on Mackinac Island!

Nate and Jamie having some breakfast!

Evan finishing up his breakfast!

Ev and me just clowing around...it's what we do best.
Being silly with Natee!


Chillin' by the lake!
Love this tree by the Hotel Iroquois!
The boys always take their kites that we bought at Mackinac many years ago.
Mission Point has a great lawn for flying kites.
They always get theirs up so high!
This is Ev's.
And here's Nates!
We went over to Great Turtle Park one day.
Here's Nate being silly!
Even though he's eleven, Nate still enjoys playing on the playground.
And I love that he's not growing up too fast!
More hiking!
Humor mom for yet another picture!
A bike in a tree?
We came across this on one of our hikes.
I have no clue...
The boys had fun building rock sculptures on the lake.
Ev and his rocks!
Hiking and climbing...
Climing and hiking!
I thought this rock formation was cool.
There's so many neat rock formations and fallen trees, I could take pictures all day.
People are always spelling things in the water with rocks.
And you get a perfect view from Arch Rock.
There were several messages this time.
One said, "Jesus loves you".
And another said, "Amanda, will you marry me?  NO!"
LOL!
We couldn't totally make out what this said, "Happy" something.
But I thought the spiral was cool.
Ah yes...
A better view of "Amanda, will you marry me?  NO!"
The boys enjoying some ice cream at Lakeside Market Place.
I love this ground cover in the woods.
As I've always said...No matter how many times we go up to the island (twenty seven years for me)...you always discover something new.
I had never seen the placque on this chair in the Mission Point Theater before.
If you can't read it...it says..."From this seat Richard Collier received Elise McKenna's declaration of love"...Somewhere In Time.
I am a hopeless romantic...and totally addicted to that movie...which was filmed on the island.
We've had fog before when we've come up to the island...
But NEVER like this!
Two of the days we were there, it got sooooo foggy!
If you look closely, you can see a "ghost" freighter in this picture!
(j/k)
I love how spooky the fog looks in the woods.
On one of our hikes...
We headed off for Sugar Loaf.
We walked...
...and walked...
Until we finally came to it!
Sugar Loaf!
Me and my babes!
We climbed up and all the way around Sugar Loaf.
It's tricky!
Challenging!
And fun!
The fam...at Sugar Loaf!
Something we did for the first time...
Was got a self-driven horse carriage tour!
If you've never done it...
It is WELL worth the money!
I was kind of scared...we have NO experience with horses.
But they have you fill out a questionairre and I think that helps them select the best horse for you.
We got Jerry.  He was a wonderful, laid-back, old fella!  Once when we got turned around, we stopped to read our map, he tried to guide us in the right direction...I think he knew the route better than us!  He was kind of a road hog.  He wanted to drive right down the center of the lane.  Jamie had to really keep him over to the right, LOL!

 
It was a lot of fun!
If WE can do it, ANYONE can do it!

More spooky fog!
I love it!
As long as I don't have to drive in it, LOL!
Jam did so well driving our carriage!
We always play a round of golf at Mission Point.
And I have to add...I WON!
Which I never do.
Where did the Tower go?
Creepy fog!
The boys always like to play at the arcade.
Had to take a picture of Ev's score.
He got first place on Deer Hunter!
That's him!
EBJ
We stayed at the Harbour View Inn. 
We had a wonderful vacation and I'm going to have a hard time getting back into the swing of things.
I can't wait until our next visit to Mackinac!

No comments:

Post a Comment