Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Something I've never understood...

Something I've never understood...

We are full gospel, Bible believing, church going christians.
But...
We also celebrate Halloween.
Or I should say, we HAVE FUN WITH THE HOLIDAY.
I have always decorated our house and yard with decorations.
I have always made Halloween goodies.
Our boys have always dressed up and gone trick-or-treating.
We have fun on Halloween!

There are other christians who do not believe in celebrating Halloween.
Fine.
I respect that.
We all have our own beliefs.

Here is what I do not understand.
These days...
Practically every church out there...
Has...
"Trunk-or-treat", "Harvest Party", or some other form of what they call...
"ALTERNATIVE TO HALLOWEEN".

ALTERNATIVE???

Ok...
Let's see...
My kids dress up in fun costumes and go around my family friendly neighborhood subdivision getting candy.

The kids at church dress up in fun costumes and go around car to car or playing games at church getting candy.

Hmmmm....

I'm afraid I just don't see the difference???

Getting candy in my neighborhood?
Or...
Getting candy at my church?

I am not knocking EITHER practice!

I say...
DO WHICH EVER YOU WANT TO DO.

But don't do the church option as an "alternative" to Halloween.
IT'S THE SAME THING!

Fun costumes and candy!

That's it!

I know there are people who don't do either...and that is fine too.
Do or don't do what you want.

But don't knock those of us who trick-or-treat...when you're going to your church to do the EXACT SAME THING!
THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!
Either getting candy from neighbors or the church.
Same thing.

We have always just gone around our neighborhood because our church is half an hour away and I enjoy seeing all my neighbors and their kids dressed up on Halloween.
And as I said before,
I am NOT knocking the churches who do this.

I am just disturbed that people actually think there is something wrong with trick-or-treating in your neighborhood...
And somehow going to church for candy makes it "different" or better.

See my point?

Anywho...
That's my thought for the day...
Just something that's always plagued my thoughts.
I wish everyone a happy autumn...
Dress up, get lots of candy, and go wherever you feel comfortable because in the end...
It's just costumes and candy...
No matter where you do it.
God bless!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Melody...I don't see much of a difference. We go to our church's Trunk Or Treat for a few reasons. 1) It's right across the street from our house, so it's very convenient. :) 2) I do feel like it's safer for my kids...no traffic, church provided candy, etc. 3) I don't have to worry about people scaring the crap out of my kids. We had a bad experience when Dylan was 2, and I'd still like to smack the people who scared my poor little toddler!
    For someone who is truly against Halloween though, I think the only answer is to not go out or dress up at all.

    ReplyDelete