Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

The ups and downs of middle school...

Middle school has been full of ups and downs for my youngest son.
More ups than downs, thankfully.

Nate is a big kid.  Probably the tallest in the middle school.  Actually he's taller than most of the high schoolers on his bus as well!  But he's very quiet and reserved at school.
I like to refer to him as my "gentle giant".  He's a friend to everyone, doesn't like conflict, he's my "mellow-fellow".
So the day he came home from school and said to me, "Mom, I stood up to a bully today"...I was intrigued.  He proceeded to share this story with me:
"I was eating lunch with O and this big kid came by and smashed O's chips!"
I asked what he did.
He said, "I stood up to this kid and firmly said, KNOCK IF OFF DUDE!"
I asked what happened next.
"The kid took off running and the lunchroom monitor gave me a thumb's up sign!"
I was pretty proud of him.

In other news...
He recently decided he'd like to try out for the basketball team. 
I have to say...like I mentioned earlier, my youngest is VERY tall for his age.
I'm talking "off the doctor's charts" tall for his age.
Thus, he's always been a little...awkward.
So when he said he wanted to try out for basketball, I really had to give him credit.
He's never really been the "athletic" type, but he's always one to try new things.
I admire that about him.  He is so brave.
He doesn't care if other people are better or what people say.
When he makes up his mind to do something, he's going to do it.
He practiced all month.
He'd come home from school and go out and shoot hoops.
Needless to say, he didn't make the team.
He was crushed for the afternoon.
But it was nothing a little "I'm so proud of you for trying anyway" treat couldn't fix, LOL!
My husband always has a soft heart...and thought our little buddy needed a little encouragement/reward for trying so hard anyway.
We had a special dinner out and ice cream.
I have to give him credit...he's WAY more brave than I ever was.
I'm so proud that he's always willing to try new things no matter what!
Way to go buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment