Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

My Grandma Hicks...

January 28 was my Grandma Hicks' birthday.
Isn't she pretty in this picture?
She reminds me of Snow White or some 50's pin-up model.
She passed away several years ago.
My Grandma Hicks was a spunky lady.
She was...full of it.
She said what was on her mind and didn't hold back, that's for sure.
My cousins, sister, and I had a lot of good times at her house when we were younger.
All of us grandkids used to spend the night at her house together.
I don't know how she put up with all of us at the same time.
It was wild.
She was a good cook.
She worked in the school cafeterias for years.
She made great fried chicken, mashed potatoes and cream gravy, and homemade yeast rolls.
I remember some of the few times I was at her house alone as a child, she and I made rolls together.  We'd take up the whole kitchen table.  There would be flour flying everywhere.  I know I made quite a mess flinging flour everywhere, but she didn't care.  She'd just say, "Oh Mel, we've got such a mess to clean up" and we'd keep on "working".  She also made great pies.  I loved her cherry pies.  I don't think I've had a cherry pie as good as my Grandma's.  Maybe that's why I don't eat cherry pie anymore...I haven't found one as good as hers'.
She always watched Magnum P.I. in the evening.  She used to tell me and my sister that he was her "boyfriend".  She'd fall asleep in her chair before moving to the bedroom.  We kids always slept on the pull-out couch.
All of us cousins had the greatest times playing out in her yard.  We'd play tag, Red Rover, and so much more.  We would pick clovers and tie them together and make "crowns".  
My Grandma and Grandpa had seven kids...5 girls, 2 boys.
When we'd get together at the house for holidays, birthdays, and cookouts...it was standing room only and the food was plenty.
It was quite a production when we were all at her house...my aunt who had a knack for "doing hair" would start giving haircuts and sometimes one or two would even end up with a perm while there.
People were always "stopping in" at my Grandma's house.  You were always welcome.
My Grandma crocheted and quilted.  All of us grandkids ended up with crocheted toys and lovely quilts from Grandma.
In addition to the house she lived in...my Grandma had another house, in the "country" where we could go to "get away".  She always had a big garden there when my Grandpa was living.  When my sister and I would go down to "the county" with them, she and my Grandpa would go across the gravel road to work in the garden and my sister and I would sit on the screened-in porch on the porch swing and play...and wait for them.  After we got bored, I would start yelling for her..."Graaaaaaand-maaaaaah!"  "Graaaaaaaand-maaaaaaaah!"  I would do this until she'd come back with several baskets of vegetables saying, "What is the matter girl?"...to which I'd reply, "We're bored."  She would roll her eyes and hand us a bushel of green beans.  "Here.  Start snapping these.  Now you're not bored."  My sister and I loved snapping the beans.  Well, I did.  I don't know about my sister.
Her bathroom always smelled of Avon perfume...Sweet Honesty I think it was called?
I always referred to it as "Granny Perfume"...but I tell you...to this day I can pick that out if someone is wearing it and it reminds me of Grandma.
We always had so many fun times with my Grandma...She never let us go without a hug and a kiss.  I look forward to seeing her again in Heaven...maybe we'll make some yeast rolls together!

No comments:

Post a Comment