Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

"So, what do you and your husband do for fun?"

I met someone new tonight.
And one of their questions to me really caught me off guard.
I really didn't expect it.
And when they asked it, I didn't know what to say.

I was asked...
"What do you and your husband do for fun?"

Ummmmmm...
Wellllll...

I seriously was baffled.
I said, "Um, uh...well...we're pretty much homebodies...we enjoy just spending time together at home as a family."

And I'm sure this person probably thought it sounded very lame or boring.
But it's the truth.

We love spending our weekends together...as a family...just doing things the four of us enjoy together.
Trying new restaurants, watching tv together, making meals, playing games, taking walks, going shopping.
Honestly, it doesn't take much to entertain the four of us.

Of course both of my boys enjoy socializing with their friends.
And they do.

But my hubby and I?

Jamie doesn't go out and drink with the guys.
He doesn't play golf.
He doesn't need to "hang out" with the guys.

I don't do "ladies night out" with the girls.
I don't "shop till I drop".

We have friends...other couples...that we get together with periodically throughout the year on differenct occasions for meals and get-togethers.

The thing is too...
The person asking me was a younger fellow.
He and his wife have "little" kids (3 years, 18 months, and one on the way).
Truth of the matter is...
When you get to be our age, and have a tween and a teen...your life tends to revolve more around THEM.
You are shuttling them from here to there...school, church, activities, sports, band, etc.
You can't just up and leave on a trip without MAJOR preparation.
And forget about trips through the school year.
When you have a child start middle or high school...it is our feelings that pulling your child for any length of time really interferes with their instructional time at school.  There are parents that pull their kids for a week and jet off to Florida.   I can't even BEGIN to imagine what would happen if I pulled my son from Alegebra, Biology, Economics, and English Comp. for a week!  The instruction he'd miss would be so detrimental to his learning and grades!

So, what do we do for fun as a family?
Well...during the summer...we have a little more freedom.
And anyone who knows us knows that we LIVE for our trips to Mackinac Island.
It has become our home away from home.
We go at least 3 or 4 times a year if we can.
It's our dream to own property there someday.
We also take day trips...the zoo...new shopping excursions...Craig's Cruisers...new restaurants...and just driving around taking in God's beauty.

What do my husband and I do for fun?

Well, that's an easy question for my husband.
Sports, sports, sports, and more sports...oh, and throw in a pizza for good measure!  LOL!

For me...
It's become baking.
Cakes, cookies, cupcakes, cake pops, cookie pops, and other sugar crafts.
I love making bouquets and gift baskets out of my baking projects.

So there you have it.
That's our family's idea of fun.

No, we don't enter 5Ks, we don't bike across the state, we don't sky-dive, we don't go white water rapiding...
Some may call us boring.

But that's ok.
I'll take my family's idea of fun any day.
It suits us just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment