Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Compliments...it's ok to accept them.

I have always had a TERRIBLE time accepting a compliment.
I think it stems from the fact that I've always struggled with self-esteem.
Never feeling pretty enough.
Never feeling talented enough.
Never feeling good enough.
With
ANYTHING
&
EVERYTHING.

Tonight...
It hit me like a ton of bricks.
It's ok to accept a compliment.

Every time someone says...
"I love your hair!  That is a great cut on you!"
I thank them.
But I shrug it off and think...
"Oh they're just trying to make me feel good."

Or when someone says...
"Oh your cookies and cakes look so nice!  You're really doing great!"
I thank them.
But I shrug it off and think...
"They just don't want to hurt my feelings.  I'm not any good at this."

I ALWAYS shrug off compliments.
I ALWAYS think people are just feeling sorry for me.
I ALWAYS think people just want to make me feel better about myself.

I don't know...
Maybe they do.
BUT...
Maybe they don't!
Maybe...just maybe...
They really do mean it.

Tonight I had a realization.
That I need to STOP being so unaccepting of compliments.
People don't just say things to say them.
I think most of my friends are genuine enough to be truthful with me.
I would hope they are.

So from now on...
When someone pays me a compliment...
I'M TAKING IT!
I'm taking it and running with it!

Because EVERYONE deserves compliments!
We don't get complimented enough in life.

It's important to tell people when they do a good job on something.
It's important to tell someone when they look nice.
It's important to tell someone they are talented.
IT'S IMPORTANT!!!

AND...
IT'S OK TO TAKE THAT COMPLIMENT!

When we work hard on something...
Be it a diet/exercise program and lose some weight.
Be it working at a new skill.
Be it taking up a new hobby.
Be it trying out a new hair style or color.
When we do something good...
TAKE THE COMPLIMENT!

You are important!
You are talented!
You are attractive!

God made me in His image...
He is the one who gives me talents...
He gives me everything!
So when I blow off a compliment...
I am shrugging off the blessings He's given me!

We must be careful not to get cocky.
Because it is God who gives us all gifts and talents.
So next time someone pays you a compliment...
TAKE IT!
And give God the glory!

I'm going to from now on!
I am not letting the enemy steal my joy anymore!

I will not blow off that compliment on my hair.
I will not shrug off the compliment on my cake or cookies I made.
I will thank God for the talents He is developing in me and for creating me in His image!

Thank-you God for my strengths and for continuing to help me improve my weaknesses!
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment