Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

"You can always spot them...certain kids just stand out"...

Photobucket
The phrase that I titled this blog, is referring to what one of Nate's teachers said to me a couple months ago.
When we walked into open house at the beginning of the school year...
One of his teachers came right over to us...
Had never met or spoken with us or Nate...
And she said,
"Nathan!  I am SO happy to be your teacher this year!  I have seen you around school all these years and I just have to say what a kind, respectful, responsible student you are!"
I was in awe...
That this woman whom had never met my son had observed this much about him!
She looked at me and said,
"You can always spot them...certain kids just stand out."
I was just amazed.
THIS, my friend, is a teacher who is "IN TUNE" with not only HER class...
But with ALL of the students in the school.
She is OBSERVANT of what goes on and how kids act.
I have a highschooler and a fourth grader.
I've been going to parent-teacher conferences for many years.
I've spoken with dozens of teachers.
They come and go.
I always get good reports...
Because my boys have always been good students.
(They're not perfect...but at least they're good at school, LOL!)
But anyway...
I've always liked most of my boys teachers.
We are blessed to live in a really good school district that is safe, the teachers care, and the kids are educated as a "whole" person I feel.
(not just academics)
But anyway...
This year...
I feel we REALLY scored one particular AWESOME teacher.
She is SO "into" each individual student.
She shows not just "professionalism"...
She is GENUINE.
You walk away from talking with her and you feel like she REALLY CARES about YOU and your STUDENT.
She is awesome.
And to share a little story...
Nate is doing awesome.
She shared how in one of his reading assessments that they do at the beginning of the year, middle of the year, and end of the year...
He's already reading beyond end of the year for fourth graders!
With nearly perfect comprehension!
I was so proud.
She continued to share things with me...
All his achievments.
She really didn't have anything negative to say...
And then asked if I had any concerns.
I share how every year...
From Young 5s...
All the way to...
Third grade...
I have asked EVERY single teacher about his handwriting.
His handwriting is really hard to read.
Every other teacher has blown it off telling me,
"Don't worry about it...it's so small in the scope of things."
Well, as always...
I asked this teacher...
And told her my story of how I ask every year...
She said,
"Really?  You're kidding?  Yes, I have noticed it...but I don't think he's being sloppy or in a hurry.  I watch him and I think it's more of a struggle with the pencil, his fingers, and letter formation.  I think his small motor skills are a little underdeveloped for his age."
THANK-YOU!
She took such an interest!
She even had noticed right down to his fingers as he wrote and how he struggled!
I couldn't believe how in tune she was with it!
I asked what I could do to help.
She suggested that we get some "pencil grips" and she would give him one at school.
Then she gave me a big stack of paper to take home for him to practice on!
How nice!
Now...
Every time I get frustrated with another teacher...
I'm going to look back at this one...
And remember...
There are exceptions to the rule!
There are AMAZING ones out there!
Not very many...
But there are a few!
Thank-you so much Mrs. ________.
I now know why Nate loves you so much!
She told me...
"Nate is such a responsible, respectful, sweet, empathetic, friend to all.  He talks about his family, church, and Royal Rangers.  Whatever you're doing...you must be doing something right...keep it up!"
No, Mrs. ___________, YOU are the one who's doing something right!
YOU keep it up!
We heart you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment