Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island Vacation

These two photos are a bit out of order...(the bike trip)...but I forgot to include them when I first posted this. We had a wonderful time biking around the island (eight miles in one hour). Nate and I rode a tandem for the first time together and he was so proud of himself! It rained a bit...so we got a bit wet...and muddy, LOL. But we had loads of fun!
Now...moving on...you can start from the beginning of our adventure, LOL!
"All good things must come to an end"...or so they say.



But I like to think more along the lines of..."Until next time".



We had a fabulous time on our vacation up north. I do have to say, when you take the kids...it's anything BUT relaxing. But hey, it's a family vacation. It's busy, chaotic fun, right? LOL! There's always time for our relaxing "couple only" trips, LOL! This first picture is at a little shop at Mackinaw Crossings called "Melody's Lane". And being as cheesey as I am..."Melody Elaine" had to have a picture of "Melody's Lane". LOL!



This was also at Mackinaw Crossings...I just loved this bear and had to have a picture. The boys humored me, LOL!




I have always said, "I HATE the beach"...but honestly...I had SOOOOO much fun playing on the sand and in the water with the boys this day! It was a warm day...the water was warm enough to be comfortable, but cool enough to be refreshing. We had such fun splashing about in the waves. And each time a ferry came in, Nate nearly got knocked over by the huge waves, LOL!






I didn't know Jamie was taking this picture. He yelled, "Hey momma!"...and I looked up and he took it. Excuse the pasty white vampire skin.





Here's the boys splashing around in the lake having fun!





We all got some icecream before the Laser Light Show began. Nate got Fudge Brownie in a cup. Evan got chocolate peanut butter in a waffle cone. I got praline pecan in a waffle cone. And Jam got praline pecan and Mackinac Island Fudge in a waffle cone.






Got a little chocolate dripping down your chin, Nate?





Ev's eyes are always bigger than his stomach. He didn't finish his cone...as usual, LOL!




Before the Laser Light Show began, this girl came out and did fire dancing! She was really great!





And before the fire dancing, she did a hula hoop dancing routine (it lit up) and it was quite cool!




Laser Light Show! It's a neat laser show set to music. They did some patriotic songs. When they played Lee Greenwood's "Proud To Be An American" I nearly cried...that song always chokes me up.




Laser fireworks!






While in Mackinaw City, we stayed at The Hamilton. This fish tank was in the lobby. These fish were HUGE!






We flew kites when we first arrived at the island. Both of the boys did great keeping theirs in the air!






The boys and I went in the Lakeside Marketplace to get some drinks...and while we were gone...Jam tried to reel in the kite alone (something you should never attempt)...and it fell into a murky, swampy pond and the string got all stuck in a tree. Thankfully, he was able to reel in all the string without any tangles and Nate and I were able to dig the kite out of the swamp. It came out undamaged thankfully...but just a little wet and muddy. With a little cleaning, it was good as new! LOL!




Just relaxin' on the lawn at Mission Point.





Jam flying the kite..."pre"-disaster.





We hiked up to SugarLoaf one day. What a trek. Nate wanted to go so bad. So we made it. And we also climbed up and around it. Whew, what a climb...quite challenging! Jam had to help me up and around!




They came, they saw, they conquered!





Natee and I at SugarLoaf.




Ev climbing the rock!




One of our hikes through the woods. So many people never even go up into the island. These are my favorite spots...away from everyone! This trail is paved, but I like the unpaved ones even better! Love these spontaneous shots of the boys!





Up by Arch Rock...





Dinner at the Round Island Bar and Grille.







Crazy Evan goofing around.





What's so funny Nate?





Ev and I at Fort Mackinac. Every year we go to the All American Picnic put on by The Grand Hotel at Ft. Mackinac. It is a wonderful picnic with bbq ribs, chicken, burgers, hotdogs, potato salad, pasta salad, coleslaw, baked beans, chips, relish trays, and dessert tables like you couldn't even imagine!






They have all kinds of special demonstrations, rifle/cannon firing, old fashioned kids' games, music, singing, etc. It's so much fun!




Nate bought a soldier hat with his own money!




Ev inside one of the fort buildings. Yes Ev...they even had mocha back then! LOL!




Two of the fort soldiers playing the fife and drum. They also sang and harmonized so beautifully!




Yum yum yum!




How's that bbq Evie?



I think I gained 10 pounds! LOL!




Golfing with the babies!







Nate got called into the captain's quarters on the ferry by Captain Shepler and asked to blow the horn! He sounded the horn and Capt. said, "Captain Nate has sounded the horn...we will now depart for Mackinaw City!" And the whole ferry burst into applause!




Bye bye Mackinac!





I don't normally buy souvenirs...but I found this pink hand-painted ring so cute...I had to have it!





And then I saw this mood ring...and fell in love with it too, LOL!




I also picked up this cute headband at Del Sol...it changed bright magenta in the sunshine!



Got this bag free at Del Sol with the purchase of my headband! It changes all kinds of beautiful colors in the sun!




We had a wonderful trip and can't wait to go back to our "home away from home"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment