Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Teenagers...

Wow.
Is this uncharted territory for me, or what?
Things...and teens...are WAY different than when I was one.
I know...
Every parent says that.
But wow.
It's sooooooooooo true!
First of all, I don't feel old enough to HAVE a teenager.
I thought only "old" people had teenagers...am I right?
LOL!
Anyway...
I'm trying desparately hard, not to be the embarrassing parent...
The fuddy-duddy parent...
The parent that totally embarrasses their kid.
But at the same time...
I'm trying hard not to be cool (don't worry, I don't think I stand a chance at that)...
I'm trying hard not to "befriend" my kid.
I'm trying to basically not come off stupid and dumb...
I'm trying to give him enough space...
So that's HE'LL come to me when he needs to talk...
Ask "enough" questions to get him to open up without prying.
But still set rules and boundaries.
I think I'm doing ok.
I think.
I feel blessed...
He has good friends he hangs out with...
At school and at church.
He has a girlfriend...
(Oh my gosh)
Yes...he has a girlfriend.
But I do have to say, I'm VERY impressed with his choice.
She's not only a cutie...
She seems very mature for her years...
Very grounded...
Very sweet.
And I like her family from what I know so far.
He went to a picnic with her family and her mom came to our door to introduce herself, give me names, phone numbers, addresses, and times they'd be back.
Yes, I think I like this family.
LOL.
He's always been an honor student in middle school...
But his last year, he struggled a bit.
I've tried to explain how different high school is.
If you don't pass, you don't get credit, you don't graduate.
I think that lit a little flame under him, LOL!
And also...
Put the goal that if he keeps his grades solid,
He can try out for lacrosse in the spring.
I think that may be helping as much or more than the "graduation talk", LOL!
He's going to ask his girlfriend to the Homecoming dance next month.
I'm excited and nervous at the same time.
Wow.
Again...
Am I really this old?
He  bought her a birthday present.
(awwww)
Have I mentioned I like this girl?
I really like that she's different from most of the other girls at his school.
She seems much more conservative...in a good way! ;)
(applause)
From what Evan has told me...
She studies hard.
She's in drama.
She works at the library.
I like her.
(did I already say that?)
So far, things are going well.
I'm trying to just enjoy it day by day.
But I do worry sometimes...
That is won't always be this smooth.
I'm the worry wart in the family.
But for now...
I'll just take the good and run with it.
Yay Ev...
Proud of the choices you're making.

No comments:

Post a Comment