Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

An "oops" with a happy ending...









Ev had a home track meet yesterday. I was able to scoot out and make it just in time to see him start running around the track. He's now running the 1600 meter (one mile). I wasn't for sure...but I thought he had just started running and was on his first lap. Well...he ran and ran and ran...and then he came through the finish line and slowed to a stop where upon a I saw a bunch of teammated come running over waving their hands and yelling something to him. It was as I suspected. I guess there was some kind of mix-up with the lap-marker paddles and he thought he had run his fourth lap, but it was only three. So...he took off running like I had never seen him run before!!! He flew around that track like the wind!!! Well...he finished, got his time, some water and came walking over to me with his stuff getting ready to leave. I asked him if what happened was what I thought...he said yes. He was near tears. He felt embarrassed and ashamed. I assured him everyone makes mistakes and it was no big deal. We walked to the car and talked. I continued to encourage and support him. Then he got a grin on his face. I asked what's with the smile? He said, "Even with me stopping and messing up, coach said I had my best time ever today!" Well how about that!!! And he STILL even beat one other person!!! I said, "Ev, if you ran as fast on all your laps like you did on that last one, you'd be in first place all the time!" LOL! We had a good chuckle and he felt a little better. I'm so glad I was there for him at this meet...he's still my baby...always will be...they still need their momma...even when they're almost a teenager... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment