Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

What does the dentist know? Hubby was right! No oral surgeon for Evan!


So about a year ago, the dentist tells us that Evan has two extra teeth in his mouth.
"What?" I say.
She proceeds to tell us that two of his adult teeth came in NEXT to the baby teeth, instead of coming in UNDER them.
You see, what they taught us in dental assisting school is that what makes the baby teeth fall out...is when the adult tooth starts coming in, it basically crumbles the roots of the baby tooth, thus making is "loose". But with the adult tooth coming in NEXT to his baby tooth...this never happened.
"Call the oral surgeon" she tells me.
"They ABSOLUTELY won't come out on their own?" I ask.
"Give them till Christmas" she says..."But I think you're going to have to have these surgically removed."
Well...we waited till Christmas.
When he went back for his next well check-up...the hygenist now tells us they made a mistake and there are THREE extra teeth in his mouth and that they MUST come out NOW.
"THREE?!?" Jamie says to me.
"How is it there are now THREE? He didn't just grow an extra baby tooth!"
"They made a mistake in their counting" I say.
We proceed to talk about it.
I am just remembering what I learned in dental assisting school and thinking if the adult teeth came in next to the baby teeth...the roots probably aren't going to crumble and become loose as our dentist told us.
So I tell Jamie this and suggest we make the appointment with the oral surgeon.
He is very reluctant.
We have had MANY mishaps and not so great experiences in the medical field over the years.
Jamie wants to wait a bit longer.
He keeps saying "How do THEY know they're not going to eventually fall out!?!"
I do have to say...I had MANY of my baby teeth well into my teen years as well.
So we wait.
We postpone calling the oral surgeon.
GUESS WHAT.
Two of the three teeth loosen.
And.................................
One fell out YESTERDAY!!!
"And you and the dentist wanted him to have those three teeth surgically removed" Jamie says to me.
"I was just going by what I learned in my class" I say!
Soooo...
I have to say...
I'm glad we didn't go ahead with the surgery.
He has one out.
Another quite loose.
And the last one is just barely starting to wiggle.
And get this...
Our dentist...
The one who told us we MUST get these teeth out!
The one who told us they will NOT fall out!
The one who told us Nate MUST wear a mouth guard for his night time teeth grinding problem.
The one that told us he had major wear on his baby teeth.
The one that caused him to vomit 3-5 times a week because of this night guard.
(Another dentist examined Nate and said there was very little wear and his baby teeth are softer anyway and he would outgrow the grinding and that he didn't need the mouth guard.)
This original dentis that gave us all this crazy advice...
Has mysteriously disappeared from our practice.
No letters from the practice saying what happened...where she's gone...why she's gone.
Nothing.
Hmmm...
Sometimes the professionals don't always know best! LOL!

Update...7/10/10
Evan lost the second of his "extra" teeth today! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment