Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Happy 13th Birthday Evan! (June 30, 1996)





Thirteen years ago today...on a Sunday morning at 8:00 a.m...I met my beautiful first born son. You came into the world very quiet and very blue...weighing in at 7 pounds 5 ounces and measuring 19 inches long.
We were terrified when you first arrived. You weren't breathing too well on your own. You were immediately given oxygen and whisked away for observation.
Without ever even getting to hold my precious boy, they informed daddy and I that you would need to be transferred to the NICU at Butterworth Hospital (Spectrum) in Grand Rapids.
All of the nurses at Holland Hospital were very kind, and then the ambulance drivers and EMT came in to get you. One EMT was a christian and he talked with us and prayed with us and even gave us his home phone number. The EMT took a Polaroid picture of you to give to daddy and me. A picture of you is not what I wanted after waiting nine long months while you grew and then going through eight long hours of labor.
You remained in the NICU for almost two weeks receiving oxygen, tube feedings, numerous tests, and constant monitoring.We visited you everyday and I cried every time I had to leave. I prayed for you 24/7 and felt if I caught myself not praying for you at any time during the day, that I was failing you. Not knowing if you were going to live or die was excruciating. I felt like I had very little knowledge of what was going on. I have only seen your dad cry one time in all the nearly 17 years I've known him...and that was the day you were born and we were scared for your life.
I remember the day I called to check on you first thing one morning before we went up to visit...and the nurse answered and told me, "Uh...Evan James...um...hang on one moment...we can't find him..." WHAT?!?! Can't find him??? Turns out, you had "graduated" into the "intermediate" care of the NICU...you were no longer high risk. You remained there a few more days and then the day finally came when we got to bring our precious baby boy home.
I can't believe we are celebrating your thirteenth birthday today. How did my precious little bundle grow up so quick? How is it your feet are bigger than mine? How is it you are nearly taller than me and I'm almost looking up to you? Your voice is getting deeper and you are getting so handsome.
I remember all your favorites that we've gone through...Veggie Tales and Bible Man, Power Rangers and Hot Wheels, you still love Lego's and Star Wars!
I am so proud of you.
Your teachers have always bragged on you, both in school and at church.
I am so proud and thrilled at how much you love Royal Rangers and all your accomplishments in there.
It excites me that your interests are so diverse. From camping, to growing plants and flowers, to caring for unwanted animals, to cooking, to cross country/track, to lacrosse.
I love being your mom.
You bring meaning to my life.
Continue to serve Jesus and commit your life to Him always. Always ask for direction from Him.
I love you more than you will ever know.
Forever and always...
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment