Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

He is not me...


I have come to realize...that one of the things that sets me off the most about being the parent of a teenager...is something I cannot change.
And that is...
My child is NOT ME.
We may have similar looks or characteristics...
But he is NOT ME.
I am trying REALLY hard to learn this and make peace with this.
It becomes very frustrating when things such as academics come up.
I was always a VERY organized, schedule oriented, stay on task, set goals type of person.
My son...simply...is not.
He is a very laid back...take it as it comes...wait till the last minute..."Oh by the way"...type of person.
And I have to be perfectly honest...it drives me insane.
When I had homework, I came home and did it.
When I knew I had a test, I would panic, study my brains out, and worry till it was over.
When I had a paper due, I planned, researched, wrote notes, rough drafts, typed it, re-typed it...until it was PERFECT.
My child...not so much.
This drives me batty.
As much as we are alike in so many ways...
We are COMPLETE and TOTAL OPPOSITES in this area.
What is a mother to do...
Pray.
And pray alot.
And...
Learn and TRY to take one day at a time.
Because if I have to think of it in terms of four and a half more years of this...
I am going to send myself to the nut-house. :)
So...my bright honor roll son...dad and I are here to coach, encourage, and help you stay organized...whether you like it...or think you need it. We love you more than anyone else in the world!


1 comment:

  1. You'r awesome! I drive myself insane in Brandon's name all the time & then I have 3 more to look forward to!! I may join you in that nut house!! hehe

    ReplyDelete