Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

"Whatever Martha"!!!


Well, I did it.
I am proud to say...I baked my first pie tonight.
From scratch...100%.
I have made cream pies...with graham cracker crust and your basic pudding/whipped topping filling. I have made other dessert pies with pre-made crusts.
But, this my friend...was totally 100% from scratch!
I got my All You magazine in the mail today and saw this recipe for "Snickerdoodle Pie". It's a custard type pie. It looked divine. I read the recipe and thought "how hard can it be...it sounds easy enough".
Well...let me tell you...making crust from scratch is HIGHLY over-rated!!!
I suppose if you get some sort of twisted enjoyment from making a huge mess in your kitchen...ok...but that's not for me! LOL!
All I can say is I have a complete and totally new-found respect for bakers who make pies from scratch!
The filling was "easy as pie"...no pun intended...
But that crust...I tell ya...
First of all...I discovered I was supposed to have a food processor to blend the pie crust...which I don't. So I didn't panic...I was almost sure that I had gotten a "pastry blender" as a wedding gift. I thought I'd do it by hand.
Nope! Nada!
So...I got the bright idea I'd use the "pulse" setting on my blender! LOLOLOL!
Well...it kindof worked...I ended up scraping it out after it was mostly blended and then working it with my hands, LOL!
Well, I rolled it...trying my best to flour it so it wouldn't stick. I flipped it and managed to get it into the pie pan "good enough".
Well...let's just say it was pretty uneven. I tried doing as the recipe called...rolling the edges under and then pinching them "decoratively". Yeah right.
Well...I started mixing the filling...much to my dismay...I THOUGHT I had all the ingredients and discovered I didn't have buttermilk. Well...no panic...I knew I remembered reading in my trusty old Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook that there was a substitute. Sure enough, you can mix either lemon juice or vinegar (1 tbsp) with 1 cup of milk and let set 5 minutes for the same result. Okay...problem solved.
I LOVE TO BAKE!
I bake cookies, brownies, bars, cakes, and other desserts...from scratch too!
But pie...
I may attempt more pies...
But I will NEVER...EVER...make another homemade crust!!!
That was pure torture!!!
My motto for the night was "Whatever Martha!"...the title of the show Martha Stewart's daughter hosts.
Yeah...whatever Martha...
I'll take my pre-made Pillsbury crust anyday over that mess! LOL!
P.S. It smells divine...just like a Snickerdoodle Cookie!!! We haven't eaten any yet...still waiting for it to cool! I'll let ya know later! And if it's as delicious as it sounds and smells...I'll post the recipe for ya! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment