Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New thoughts on money-saving/couponing...



So, I did my grocery shopping at Meijer yesterday and I got some really good deals.
But...
I have been thinking over the past couple months...I don't feel like I'm seeing as many of the 50-80% savings tallies like I used to.
But then...
I had a realization.
Back when I first started Savings Angel and jumped on the couponing bandwagon, I was buying alot of things that I didn't necessarily always use. I was buying them because they were great deals. And although I did eventually use them, where is the "savings" if you're buying things you REALLY don't need...even if it's a great deal.
Then...
Yesterday, I looked at my tally on my grocery receipt at Meijer.
Spent $41.21
Saved $28.69
At first I was discouraged, thinking...I only saved $28.69...that is no where NEAR my 50% mark or higher that I used to have.
But...
I only bought what was on sale.
I only bought what I had coupons for.
And most importantly...
I only bought what we needed and would use on a steady basis.
And I thought about it in another way too...
$41.21 for a weeks worth of groceries?!?!
That's amazing!!!
No...I didn't match or surpass my spending w/ my saving.
But, I only spent $41.21!!!
And everything I bought were things we really need and use all the time.
Not things that are non-necessities.
I continued to pad my stockpile.
So, $41.21 for a week's worth of groceries???
Yeah...I'll take that in a heartbeat!
When most of my friends are spending $200.00 a week for a family of 3 or 4...and I am feeding my family of 4 PLUS 10 daycare children!!!
Yep...I feel pretty darn good about my $41.21!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment