Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Purpose


I am not sure what is going on.
But I am so restless right now.
I am not settled.
And it's more than just being frustrated in my job.
It's not that.
I have an uncertainty going on.
It's been going on for some time.
Not sure when it started.
It started with job frustrations.
But now...
It has lead to a real sense of restlessness.
I am looking for purpose.
I am looking for fulfillment.
I am longing for something.
I am trying to figure out what it is.
I need something different.
And if it's not completely changing my line of work...I need something to "complete" me.
Everyone says, "What do you enjoy?"
"What is your passion?"
I don't know.
I'm not really good at any one thing.
I can do alot of things.
But I'm not truely GOOD at any one thing.
It's like I attempt all these things...
But I'm not truely passionate or good at any one thing.
I thought working with children was "my thing".
But now I realize that most people don't have the same vision that I do.
I visualized my job as early childhood education and got my CDA Credential.
Clients see my job as a cheaper alternative to a "real" daycare center.
So I moved on...
I entered the dental assisting program and graduated from that thinking that might be an answer.
Of course...
Upon graduation...
There are now no jobs in that field.
So...
Here I am.
I really don't think early childhood education or the dental field are my "calling".
I don't feel a real "passion" for either.
Although the dental program WAS very interesting and I think if I had the opportunity, I might enjoy that work.
But...
Is it a "passion"?
I don't think so.
I am looking for purpose.
My passion.
Jamie has encouraged me to go back to school if I want.
But I will be 38 years old next month.
None of my college credits are valid anymore...it's been too long.
I'd have to start at square one.
And when would I have time to study?
Working 55 hours a week.
I have a husband and two children.
I mean seriously.
So I wonder...
Maybe it's not giving up my current job that I need to do.
Maybe it's finding something else to do along with it.
Something that can be done in my own time that just gives me a sense of fulfillment.
I've always wanted to take violin lessons.
But...
Violins are very expensive.
But...
People tell me they're hard to learn.
Maybe it's just fear.
Excuses.
Lately, I have been considering writing.
I'm sure I have no real talent for it.
But I guess you don't know unless you try.
People have written books, columns, blogs, and more...and never dreamed they'd end up getting PAID to do it.
I don't know.
I don't know what my passion is.
I don't know what I'm good at.
You see people all the time open up these clever, unique businesses that end up prospering.
Maybe I just need SOMEONE ELSE to tell me what I'm good at.
Anyone?
God?

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. There are millions of people out there in the same siutation, this dear old cousin being one of them. It's not that I don't get a sense of fulfillment from my current job as a stay at home parent. I love it (most days), I do enjoy spending time in the school with the kids but I have lately thought I need something just "mine". Does that sound selfish or what? So, how does this sound? I'll pray for you and your peace, fulfillment and contentment, wherever and however it may come and you do the same for me? Love ya! and hang in there! Tiff

    ReplyDelete