Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Keeping up with the Jones'...


This is my home.
I love my home.
It's not always as big as I'd like it to be. With two growing boys, and a daycare licensed for as many as twelve children...it can be cramped at times.
But I love my home. I love my location. And I feel so blessed to have my home.
When we first bought this home over nine years ago, I had a dream that I was going to move into a cute little yellow house. Sure enough, we got our cute little yellow house!
We put our home up for sale twice over the last couple years, hoping to possibly get into something bigger...but with the market the way it is...nothing happened. I can't say I'm totally disappointed. There are so many things I love about my home, and so many memories have been made here. This is the only home Nate has ever known! He was born two months after we moved here. And Evan was only four years old, so most of my boys memories have been made here in this home.
Something most of my friends know about me, is that I love watching HGTV. A couple of my favorite shows are House Hunters, Property Virgins, and My First Place. I love venturing through houses with people and seeing what's out there all over the country.
Something that I have been noticing lately though, is the "it's not good enough" attitude that so many people have.
As I watch these people stroll through these homes, their famous line is, "It needs some updating."
Ok...it's only human nature to want the best and newest out there.
But let's step back and take a look for a moment.
Is it functional?
Yes.
In most cases, these people who have their noses so high in the air are wanting to make changes that REALLY (in my honest opinion) don't HAVE to be made!
It just seems they look down their nose because the kitchen doesn't have stainless steal appliances (neither does mine). There's no granite counter tops (none in my kitchen either). There isn't tile on the floor (laminates here).
Sheesh! I guess I better get to work! I must have one of the worst outdated kitchens out there!
But...
I sit here and think...
Is it functional?
Yes.
My stove, refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher all work. They're only around ten years old. They get the job done. They're in decent shape. What's wrong with that? Yes, there's a tiny knick in the paint on my stove. Yes, I found a little crack in the plastic vent of my microwave. They're dated. But should I go out and spend thousands of dollars to "update" my kitchen when everything works just fine? Just so I can have the up-to-date stainless steal appliances? Sure, I'd love them...they're attractive. Do I NEED them? No. Would that be a SMART financial decision. No.
My floors aren't REAL hard wood...they're laminate. Would I like tile? Yes. My counters aren't granite. Would I like that? Yes. Should I drain my account to remodel my kitchen? No. I don't think that would be smart. Everything works...it gets the job done. It's clean. And I think I maintain an attractively decorated kitchen.
The carpet...worn.
The guest bathroom...could be updated.
The walls...could use a fresh coat of paint.
Sure...there are things I could do.
Some...yes, I will.
In time.
As finances allow it.
I guess what irks me though, is these people who go through these homes and so much is "cosmetic". Things they can "live with" until they choose to update...but heaven forbid they live with wallpaper on the walls till they have the money to update. They turn down homes because it's not "updated" to their liking.
Sometimes I look at other people's homes...and I'll admit...the little green monster will come out (jealousy).
I'll think, "Oh I wish our house was bigger. Oh I wish my kitchen was like theirs. Oh for a big soaking tub in my bathroom." And so on.
But you know what...
My home is functional.
My home is clean.
My home is cute (in my opinion...I try).
And I am SO incredibly blessed to have it!
Forgive me, but as I look at so many people losing their homes due to the economy, and the actual homeless people out there...I just wanna smack the people who have their nose so high in the air thinking these homes are below them on these shows. Sheesh.
Will I continue to watch HGTV? Yes. I love it. I will continue to dream, get ideas, and be entertained.
But I just wish everyone could be more thankful for what they have and dream of what they can DO in the future with their home.
Don't try to keep up with the Jones'...it's not worth it.
God has blessed us with so much.
It's almost a smack in His face when we keep wanting more, more, more. It's as if we're telling Him, what He's given us isn't enough.
Be thankful.
He is so good to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment