Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We're busy...


"I've been so busy..."
I hear this all year...but I think I hear it more than ever during the holidays.
Seems like every time we see someone and stop to chat, it's...
Us: "Hi, how have you been?"
Them: "Oh we've been so busy!"
Ok...
I know...in this day and age being busy is practically unavoidable...to "some" degree.
But...
Let's face it...
We all have SOME control over the AMOUNT of how busy we are in our life.
I don't think ANY of us HAVE to be as busy as we claim that we are.
Am I busy?
Yup!
I'm a wife.
A mom.
A business owner who works 55 hours a week.
Church every Sunday.
Bible Study on Wednesdays.
Make sure the boys' homework is done.
Have they showered?
Does Nate's backpack have his planner (is it signed?), his folder, his homework, his gym shoes, his snowpants, his snack, and any other extras that day brings?
Does Evan's backpack have his notebooks, books, band folder, trumpet, gym clothes, Cross Country uniform, money, notes, and whatever else he needs?
Clean up the kitchen, do the dishes, throw in a load of laundry, shower, lay out my and the boys' clothes.
Feed/water the cat.
Scoop his litter.
Are my lesson plans done for preschool tomorrow?
Is my paperwork caught up for daycare?
That's just the daily stuff.
Then you throw in the "extras".
Making sure Evan is there and picked up from Cross Country meets/practices, his band concerts/parades.
Attending meetings, conferences, and events at Nate's school.
Add in the extra Royal Ranger activities beyond Wednesdays...and we're talkin' pretty busy!
And let's not forget holidays!
There's the added "busy" of decorating, special meals, parties, shopping, gift wrapping, cooking, and baking!
And as if the extras aren't enough...throw in the stress of bad weather...
Oh what a time for joy!
Needless to say...
The whole point of this post...
Was originally to say...
We DO have time for what we WANT to.
When I hear...
"I don't have time to send out Christmas cards."
You know what?
Neither do I...but I did.
When I hear...
"I didn't have time to bake something for the party."
You know what?
Neither did I...but I did it anyway.
When I hear...
"I don't have time..."
"I don't have time..."
"We're so busy..."
"We're so busy..."
YOU KNOW WHAT?
SO AM I.
SO IS EVERYONE.
We're all busy.
And I guess...
It all comes down to what REALLY means something to us.
Even though it means being busy...
I enjoy baking cookies during the holidays with my boys.
I enjoy sending out cards to all my friends and family around the world.
I just enjoy doing for others.
But you know what I do...
I'm learning to set boundaries.
I've told my oldest son...only one sport in the fall and one sport in the spring (and that's a big maybe).
Add with that sport...band, Royal Rangers, and staying on top of homework...
That's plenty.
Same with myself.
I am trying to set boundaries for myself and my entire family to help us maintain peace, serenity, and tranquility in our life.
It probably isn't always the popular choice.
People may not be happy.
But I am now choosing to do what's best for my family.
That might mean setting a time limit on a particular activity or get together.
It might mean limiting how many "things" we do in one week.
And not only am I setting boundaries to maintain peace, serenity, and tranquility...I'm not taking chances anymore.
If the weather is bad...
I'm not taking the risk.
I value my and my family's life too much.
If everyone else wants to chance it...fine.
But I'm not going to.
So...
Next time you give the excuse...
"We're so busy..."
Think about it.
Are you making time for the things that are REALLY important to you?
And if you're not...
Maybe it's time to start.
Maybe it's time to start setting those boundaries.
I know when I set boundaries and tell people how it is...it scares me.
I'm afraid I'll make them mad.
But in the end...
I'm happy.
I have peace.
Life is short...I say it all the time.
Start making...
Peace,
Serenity,
and
Tranquility
a part of your life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment