Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

A gift from God...for me?!?!



Ever have those "ah-ha" moments?

Call me a dumb blonde, but I don't get them too often, LOL!

But on a more serious note...today as I was just sitting...doing nothing...I had one.
It was like this light bulb just went off in my head.

And it wasn't just one of those moments where something dawns on you and you're like, "Oh yeah, I need to take care of that!".
It was more.
It was serious.

It felt like an "ah-ha" from God.

I haven't been sad.
I haven't been depressed.
In fact, I've been pretty happy lately.

But as anyone who is close to me knows...
I have struggled with my self-esteem, self-worth, and friendships/relationships all my life.

And I believe all three go hand-in-hand in this particular post.
I have shared with many of you how I have such bad luck in friendships, doing all the giving, people doing all the taking, being taken advantage of.

But I finally had this "light bulb" go off today...and it really felt like God.

Lately, I have made some new friends.
And we have become close friends...fast.
And I still have tended to guard myself and not open up too much out of fear.
And when I had this "ah-ha" moment today...

I realized, these people have been pouring their souls out to me...
I have listened.
I have been their shoulder as they cried.
I have offered prayer and advice when they asked.

And as my "light bulb" went off today...it was almost as if God Himself spoke to me and said..."Melody, what in the world are you thinking? You have SO many friends and more are being made daily! And here they are pouring out their souls to you and you are BLESSING them by LISTENING, PRAYING, CRYING, and TALKING with them!"

In my mind...I have always thought of friendship as "going out together for coffee", "having lunch together", "going shopping together", "hanging out". Well, when you get married, have children, get involved in their schools/church activities, work full-time...you have less time for the actual "face-to-face" time with friends.

But today...it was like God just gave me this revelation...and all these friends names started popping into my head...friends who have been sharing soooo much with me! And I have been listening, talking to, crying with, and praying for them!
My online friends, a few neighbors, a client, and more!

What more could I ask for?
I have friends!
Friends who love me!
Friends who need me...and more importantly I NEED THEM!

So when I got this little "revelation" today...it was not only the message that I do indeed have friendships...but God showed me today that I do have a gift...it is the gift of LISTENING.
And as much as I like to talk...sometimes I have to just "shut-up" and listen to my friends. That is what they need. So many of my friends are going through hard times right now and they are coming to me...so many friends being attacked physically, financially, emotionally...and I listen...and I pray.

God showed me, that sometimes, that's all a friend needs. Someone to listen to them. Someone to pray for them. Someone to be there for them. And God pointed out to me today...that is me. Being there. Listening.

Yes, it's still fun to go out to coffee, to go shopping, to hang out and chat.
But sometimes what our friends need more than anything, is someone to listen...and be there...and be their prayer warrior.

And that, my friend...is the gift God showed me today that He has given me.

Thank-you Lord...for opening my eyes...and showing me I do have a calling, a gift, and worth.

Be blessed... :)

3 comments:

  1. I am literally in TEARS!! You are amazing!! I have felt so alone for so long and I love chatting and laughing with you. Keep praying Mel, God awnsers prayers and I am watching him at work here as you know. Thank you so much for the ear, the time, the silliness, the cheering crew, what an amazing blessing you are to all! Th enext time I get a chance I will grab some coffee.. turn on FB and "go out" to coffee with you!! hehe.. Thanks Mel! You are a special gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely true! I keep erasing what I am writing because you already nailed it. So, yes yes yes! You're right! =) You truly are an amazing woman. Never doubt your worth. You're beautiful inside and out in so many eyes. But God make you humble, not to boast and be proud. Think of it as God blessing you in that respect, rather than thinking of it as a disability. I could list a ton of things about you that I think are incredible qualities, and I've never even met you face to face! Remember...God doesn't make errors- he made you the way you are, and it's really good =)

    ReplyDelete