Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Two down...at least eight to go...

So, I've waited long enough. Although now seems like a weird time to start, I'm doing it anyway because enough is enough.

Yes, I'm talking about my weight. This mushy, squishy, doughy place on my body that deserves to be called nothing less than a "belly" because I hate that word. "Belly"...it just makes me think "chubby". Graduating to a "tummy" would be an improvement. That doesn't sound near as bad as a "belly". Maybe someday I will call it my stomach (although technically that is an organ in our body). But I doubt I will ever see the day that it will be called abs. But that's ok...I'm willing to just get to "tummy". If I can have a FLAT tummy...I don't care if it's soft...I don't need rock hard abs...I've just got to lose this little pooch.

And just as sure as I'm writing this, I can hear all my friends saying, "You don't need to lose weight!" Well, maybe my weight isn't the problem, so you're right in that aspect. I'm not overweight at all. But I'm squishy in places I don't want to be. The thing is, I'm gaining weight...and although it's not alot...it's all in the same spot. My mid-section. That's not healthy. Belly fat is not healthy. I am NOT going to buy a larger size jeans. I WON'T DO IT. So, either I lose a few pound in the middle...or I never get new clothes...and the thought of that is just mortifying! No new clothes??? Eeeeeeeeeek! (scream!)

So, the hubs and I have been reading all my magazines. And of course, there's a new diet every month on the cover...along with that recipe for the Double Chocolate Cream Filled Cake! That always cracks me up...you've got the diet of the month on one side...and the dessert of the month on the other, LOL!

Anywho...everything we have been reading talks about the importance of fiber and how we should aim to get at least 35-40 grams of fiber a day. So we've been starting our mornings out with a bowl of Fiber One Raisin Bran (12 grams). The great thing about fiber is, that it's very filling and stays with you a long time. But it also has another affect as we all know, LOL! But then we try to get in some more fiber at lunch. We've been looking for high fiber breads and english muffins and you can make great low cal sandwiches with those. We try to squeeze in another bowl of Fiber One as an afternoon snack giving us another 12 grams of fiber putting us at 24 not including whatever else we include in lunch, dinner, and an evening snack.

The greatest thing is...we really aren't dieting. We have just been conscious about our portions. If we want a snack, even if it isn't low cal...even if it's POTATO CHIPS for me!!! We just put some in a bowl...we remove all temptation of keeping the bag out.

It may take a little longer, but everything you read, says that it's the small lifestyle changes...the slower weight loss...those are the people that keep it off long term. So we are just trying to make smarter choices.

One of my new tricks I learned from The Biggest Loser...every time I'm bored or tempted to eat (and I'm not really hungry)...I grab a piece of sugarless gum.

And I am thrilled! I got on the scale today after only 3 days and lost 2 pounds!


I know I go through spurts of diet and exercise and then fall off the bandwagon. But the good thing is, that you keep trying. You can never fail if you never try. And even if I screw up and eat more junk than I should, I'm going to go right back to it and try to continue my better habits.

We can do it!

1 comment: