Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Who in your circle of friends are you witnessing to?

We had the best message today at church.
Appropriately enough...it was a topic I've been dealing with and writing about alot...FRIENDSHIP.
Pastor Sam talked about the differences in friendship.
There is a difference in "being friendly"...which is just on the surface.
And then there's being a "true friend"...through thick and thin.

Proverbs 18:24A man of many companions may come to ruin,
But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
NIV

If you look at the first line of this scripture...the wording could lead us to think that someone who has a large circle of friends could be led to ruin. But what I really think it's saying to us, is that we really need to watch WHO we consider to be TRUE friends. We could have a large circle of "friends"...or maybe they're just people we hang with, maybe they're neighbors, maybe they're acquaintences...all nice peole...friendly people. But the people who are our REAL friends should be the people we can trust through thick and thin, you can count on them day or night, they will tell you the truth in love when you need it.

Something else our pastor pointed out was the fact that we need to have more than just christian friends. YES! You are allowed to have non-believer friends! You SHOULD have non-believer friends! Jesus hung with the sinners too! As Pastor Sam put it, "You can only save the saved and bless the blessed so many times!"...we need to build relationships outside our "church bubble" and "Christianity bubble" so that we can bless and reach others for Christ!
I really needed to hear that. Because there are times when I think, "Am I spending too much time with my unsaved friends?" NO! As Pastor Sam put it, as long as your primary friendships are built around fellow believers who will build you up...you SHOULD be spending time with non-believers affecting their lives!
I will never forget the eight years I worked in the car plant. And most of the people from my area hung together after work as well...at the bar, partying, and getting around. But I will always remember this one particular fella I spent a good several years working with...he said to me, "Mel, I will never forget you. Your friendship means alot to me. You don't drink, you don't cuss, you don't mess around...I see God in you...but you don't push it down my throat." WOW!!! It about floored me. Coming from an 18 yr old kid!!! He got all that just by working next to me? It is amazing how God's love shines through you when you are friendly and loving and bless other unbelievers. You may never know it, but you ARE a witness...even if you're not saying anything.
So, next time you are out to eat...think about how you treat your waitress/waiter.
Next time you purchase something at the store...think about how you treat your cashier or clerk.
Next time you are out and about in your neighborhood...think about how you are acting around your neighbor.
People are watching you. And whether you know it or not...they know you're a christian. They are watching to see how you treat them and others. And even if you never speak a word to them...how you treat them and others...should be a reflection of Christ Himself.
So...
Who is in YOUR circle of friends?
Are you only surrounding yourself around other believers?
Or are you reaching out to the lost too?
I know this sermon really challenged me to continue to show Christ's love and bless my non-believing neighbors, clients, people I come in contact with daily.
You never get another chance to make a first impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment